Video editing software
 Simple user-friendly multi-track editors
- Kdenlive appears to be the obvious choice.
- Kino is an acceptable alternative, but is is mostly geared towards the now ancient DV camera technology.
 Extremely advanced editors for heavy usage
 Very simple conversion, cutting, filtering and encoding
 Desktop Screencasting
- recordmydesktop - http://recordmydesktop.sourceforge.net/
 VJ Tools
- LiVES (LiVES is a Video Editing System).
 We feel compelled to mention..
- Blender. 3D animation suite. Works great if you RTFM, and "Fine Manual" means numerous 1000+ page long books.
- PiTiVi. Based on gstreamer/python framework. Buggy crap.